[FGS] Postgis and postgresql installed

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jun 24 11:58:29 EDT 2004

Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> I've bundled up postgresql with postgis and installed them in the fgs home under /dev. I didn't an initdb but can't easily start the service since pg is running on this server already - I will work on it and probably temporarily change the port so I can continue on.  It was built against GEOS which I think is installed in the /base
>
> TO DO
>  - I plan to load all the postgis functions into the database template1 at some point so the distribution is ready to go out of the box
>  - I started a setenv script but need to finish it (comment about it appreciated)
>
> If anyone has some time to try it on their machine, that'd be great.  Should just be able to mirror the base and dev folders and run the the /base/setenv and /dev/postgres/setenv to get started.

Tyler,

I realize I haven't been to specific about this, but my theory is that
for each FGS package that will be related as it's own .tar.gz file there
should be a subdirectory under /home/fgs/fgs-pkgs.  So, for instance, one for
postgres+postgis, and one for Python.   I'm not sure that we need a package for
GTK.  I am expecting we would either distribute GTK 1.x in the base package
if it is used by multiple packages, or just in the openev package if that is
the only thing that uses it.

I'll write up a wiki topic on some of my package preparation scripts and
theories and then write a new message to the list about them.