[FGS] GMT

Tyler Mitchell tjmitchell at riverside.bc.ca
Thu Jun 24 16:42:58 EDT 2004

Brent,

Did you use the fgs_configure and fgs_install shell script files?   It
will help us help you :)

What we've been doing is creating these files for each package we are
compiling.  Nothing special in them for the mostpart except that you need
to tell ./configure where you are ultimately going to "install" these
files.

Take a copy of them from one of our src directories (i.e.
/home/tyler/fgs/dev/python_src/Python-2.3.4/fgs_configure ).

fgs_configure should look something like this for you:

 ./configure  --prefix=/home/fgs/fgs-pkgs/gmt

Then when run that script (i.e. sh fgs_configure) and then do a make  -
make install (sh fgs_install) will then create that folder and put just
the required files/folders into the main fgs tree, as Frank pointed out.

As far as the /home/fgs/setenv.sh script goes, it really just sets up some
paths for the base libraries.  We haven't discussed this at all, but I'm
creating setenv.sh scripts for each package that I wrap up.  Usually I put
it under that packages "install" folder (i.e.
/home/fgs/fgs-pkgs/dev/python/setenv.sh) which, when run, just makes sure
the executables and library paths are updated so I can start using the
application/libraries.

By the way, I know we didn't come right out and say it but we ( me )
should stop using ../fgs-pkgs/dev and instead just put apps right in the
root ../fgs-pkgs/ folder (i.e. when using the above ./configure --prefix)

Hope that helps clarify things.
To summarize here's what you should probably do:
-delete /home/fgs/fgs-pkgs/GMT
-delete /home/fgs/fgs-pkgs/dev/GMT
-create a /home/bwood/GMT/GMT3.4.4/fgs_configure script that includes your
required configure statement plus the --prefix parameter as used above
-In /home/bwood/GMT/GMT3.4.4, run the fgs_configure script (sh
fgs_configure)
-Create a fgs_install script (all it probably needs it "make install" in
it).  Run it too.
-Check out /home/fgs/fgs-pkgs - there should be gmt folder all ready to
go.
*-Optional (and open for discussion) create a
/home/fgs/fgs-pkgs/gmt/setenv.sh script that sets the path to the bin
folder and ld_library_path to the lib folder for GMT only.*

Let us know how it goes.

Tyler