[FGS] Problem Apache

Guillaume Dallaire gdallaire at dmsolutions.ca
Sun Apr 3 19:22:08 EDT 2005

Hi Donovan,

On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 16:34 +0200, Levert Donovan wrote:
> Hello,
> I have install FGS-mapserver, but when I want start
> FGS I have an error from apache (I am in root account)
> :

When starting apache as root, the apache start script verifies that an
apache user exists. If not, it creates it using:

/usr/sbin/adduser apache -s /sbin/nologin -d $FGS_HOME/www -c 'Apache -
FGS'

If no user is successfully created, it returns :

> ! Cannot create user 'apache', could not start apache
> as root.

Can you canfirm that an apache user hasn't been created (see
in /etc/passwd if there is an entry) ?

what is your linux distribution ?

> But, when I want to start FGS by an user account, I
> have these errors :
>
> /opt/fgs/etc/init.d/apache: line 30:
> /opt/fgs/www/conf/live.httpd.conf: Permission non
> accordée
> /opt/fgs/etc/init.d/apache: line 3:
> /opt/fgs/www/conf/php.ini: Permission non accordée
> fopen: No such file or directory
> httpd: could not open document config file
> /opt/fgs/www/conf/live.httpd.conf
> /opt/fgs/etc/init.d/apache start: httpd could not be
> started
>
> I don't understand why the files live.httpd.conf and
> php.ini are not created.

If you installed the FGS runtime as root, you cannot run it as a normal
user since root is the owner of files that need to be writable.

Apache requires to be started as root in order to bind port 80.

Guillaume