[FGS] newbie need applications help

Guillaume Dallaire gdallaire at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Mar 18 14:36:20 EST 2005

Bing,

On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 12:07 -0600, Bing Shi wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> Thanks! But I guess I did not ask the right question.
> My questions are,
> 1) for using my own data to develop applications, do I have to build a
> package (i.e. apps/myapps) in, e.g. /opt/fgs/etc/fgs/pkgs, using fgsdev
> build, then install?

No you don't need to build a complete module (you could if you need a
way to automate the install process, especially if you have multiple
installations to do on multiple hosts).

Install your files in $FGS_HOME/www/htdocs/ OR

( in $FGS_HOME/apps/myapps AND add a .conf file in $FGS_HOME/www/conf.d
directory, just like gmap demo or chameleon )

> 2) since fgs running as a standalone environment, can we serve maps over the
> Internet, not just localhost? how?

Yes, if your FGS's apache has been configured to bind port 80, then your
server is accessible from the net (add a redirection if your server is
behind a firewall)

If your apache has been configured to bind a port other than 80 and you
already have a web server running on port 80, you can add :

ProxyPass        /directory/    http://fgsserver:port/directory/
ProxyPassReverse /directory/    http://fgsserver:port/directory/

in your httpd.conf file if you use apache as main web server.
You could also use a redirection with iptables.

Guillaume