[FGS] base installer errors

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Fri Oct 14 15:55:33 EDT 2005

Bonjour Guillaume,

> You may be the first to install FGS on ubuntu system.

but not surely not the first on a debian-based system? ubuntu hasn't
strayed *that* far from it's roots (i don't think anyway).

> /usr/sbin/adduser apache -s /sbin/nologin -d $FGS_HOME/www -c 'Apache -
> FGS'

I don't have a nologin program. This is what I have:
# locate nologin
/etc/init.d/rmnologin
/etc/rc2.d/S99rrmnologin
/etc/rc3.d/S99rrmnologin
/etc/rc4.d/S99rrmnologin
/etc/rc5.d/S99rrmnologin
/usr/share/man/man5/nologin.5.gz
/lib/security/pam_nologin.so

> And it checks just after to see if the user has been created. Maybe
> there is an error with 'adduser' on your system. Can you run this
> command "manually" (as root) and report the output you get ?

# /usr/sbin/adduser .....etc
adduser: no more than two names.

> Does your system have a rc.local file "equivalent" ? I've no access to
> an ubuntu machine, so I can't tell where you should put it... :(

I have a series of directories /etc/rc#.d/ where # is 0-9 plus S.
I'm not very knowledgable about this part of linux in general let alone
ubuntu specific.

thanks for your help,

--
matt wilkie