[FGS] base installer errors

Guillaume Dallaire gdallaire at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Oct 17 16:53:47 EDT 2005

Hi Matt,

On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 12:55 -0700, Matt Wilkie wrote:
> > /usr/sbin/adduser apache -s /sbin/nologin -d $FGS_HOME/www -c 'Apache -
> > FGS'
>
> I don't have a nologin program. This is what I have:
> # locate nologin
> /etc/init.d/rmnologin
> /etc/rc2.d/S99rrmnologin
> /etc/rc3.d/S99rrmnologin
> /etc/rc4.d/S99rrmnologin
> /etc/rc5.d/S99rrmnologin
> /usr/share/man/man5/nologin.5.gz
> /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
>
> > And it checks just after to see if the user has been created. Maybe
> > there is an error with 'adduser' on your system. Can you run this
> > command "manually" (as root) and report the output you get ?
>
> # /usr/sbin/adduser .....etc
> adduser: no more than two names.

Here is the quick fix:

find a free user/group to run your apache. On Debian system, there is
www-data for both. You could use nobody/nogroup too.

Edit this file:

$FGS_HOME/www/bin/apache.init and add:

USER=www-data
GROUP=www-data

after the PORT directive.

After, run:

$ chmod -R www-data:www-data $FGS_HOME/www/logs

Then, you should be able to start your FGS.

In the next build of Apache for FGS, I will change the way apache.init
handle the user/group for Apache.

Guillaume