[FGS] Port 80

Guillaume Dallaire gdallaire at mapgears.com
Wed Apr 19 08:26:57 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 07:26 -0700, Felipe Costa wrote:
> Hello people,
>
> I've installed my fgs at port 8000 as a common user (non-root) and
> everything was working fine, but since people from IT have implemented
> a firewall I can't  see my maps outside intranet.
> I changed FGS to port 80 at configuration files but it doesn't start a
> http daemon, I think that's because the installation with a regular
> user.
> What shall I do to use the same installation working at port 80,
> without have to install FGS again as root?

Hi Felipe,

Apache cannot bind port 80 as non-root (all ports below 1024 require
root access)

You have two choices :

1. If you have a main apache running on this machine, you could use a
ProxyPass directive in httpd.conf

2. from your firewall, you could forward port 80 to port 8000 on your
server. If your server has a routable IP, you could do this locally
using iptables:

$ FGS_PORT=8000
$ INTERNAL_IP=a.b.c.d
$ iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -d $INTERNAL_IP --dport 80 -j
DNAT --to $INTERNAL_IP:$FGS_PORT

more details on this can be found here : http://tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-
Masquerade-HOWTO/forwarders.html

Guillaume