[FGS] Source Cache, CVS access

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Wed Jul 4 08:11:02 EDT 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> I did my prototype gdal_ecw module for the ECW plugin driver
> according to the prototype of python_mapscript which has it's
> own directory in pkg_def, and is explicitly listed in the build.list
> file.  I see that mechanism and the approach used in the php case both
> end up producing fgs-*-module*.tar.gz files so the final result
> seems to be the same.  Do you see any compelling reason to do
> things one way or the other?

I don't know enough about how each way works to tell which one is best.
It just seemed cleaner to keep all sub-modules grouped under the same
directory as the main module, but if the result is the same then that
probably doesn't matter much.

> I see the gdal_ecw and python_mapscript modules are specified in
> the build.list file with the version number referrning to their
> parent package (where their source lives).
>
> Currently GDAL doesn't really support producing plugins in a
> convenient way, unlike PHP, so doing them as seperate packages
> at least keeps the hackery distinct from the base gdal build.

If that seems like a better approach then I'm fine with that for now. If
we find out later that the other approach has advantages we can always
make the switch in a future release.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette