[FGS] FGS and MrSID support in GDAL

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Mar 25 15:28:24 EDT 2008

Forwarding mpg's reply to the list...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [FGS] FGS and MrSID support in GDAL
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 11:44:27 -0700
From: Michael P. Gerlek <mpg at lizardtech.com>
To: Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com>,	Daniel Morissette
<dmorissette at mapgears.com>
CC: fgs-list <foss-gis-suite at lists.maptools.org>

Daniel, et al:

Thanks for asking...  A couple years ago we spent some effort to make
sure that the MrSID SDK could be happily included in free/open packages
where the maintainer wishes to do so.  As Frank says, the best approach
for your users would be notify them by some mechanism that the package
includes a non-FOSS component, and maybe giving them an option to choose
it or not.  Some prefer to have 100% FOSS and some are okay with some
non-free code in there.

Of course you must include a copyright notice and a EULA, but for the
purposes of distributing a tarball or whatever it is sufficient to just
include the file in the kit.  See the file REDISTRIBUTABLE.txt which
attempts to set these terms out in English; for the non-English version,
see sections 1.2 and 2.1 of the license file.

(LizardTech would very much like to open source our decode SDK, but
3rd-party legal issues have prevented us so far.  We are continuing to
try to resolve this.)

If you have any questions, just ask -- I'll try to be as accommodating
as I can.

-mpg (not a lawyer, but nonetheless speaking officially for LizardTech)