[FGS] Installing on shared server

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Jan 30 15:27:51 EST 2009

> Hi Norm.
>
> Thanks for taking time for asking.
>

> I did install modules under /home/ossi/fgs/suite, Which created lots of
> folders below there. Ie www folder.
>
> When I try www.mydomain.com:8080/ <http://www.mydomain.com:8080/> it
> does not see it.
>
> I don't have access for main apache config file or any of the prt forwad
> thingys, since its shared host.
>

> Permissions for folders are 755 rwx rw rw.
>

> Permissions for bin file when trying to execute that using sh command
> were 644 rw r r I also tried it using 777 and 755 rwx rwx rwx they did
> not work either.
>

> Should I try to install under my www root?
>

> It is so confusing, for having bin files, and then module install files.
>

> I don't think I have any other options to install it as a normal user,
> since I am on shared host.
>

> I installed this few years back on my windows server, and it was fine,
> but now I have remote shared host, and unfamiliar with linux boxes..
>
> They say it has centos 4.
>

> Only access to server I have is ftp and shell access.
>

> Can I install this without Apache and use of different ports? (My host
> does not allow use of ports)
>
> Thanks
>
> Ossi

Ossi,

I have been following this discussion because I was in a similar
situation to yours: using FGS on a shared CentOS host.  In fact I was
using FGS in that environment for almost a year (FGS's Apache defaults
to port 8080 so that is how I accessed MapServer in their
environment)..however, recently my hosting provider got wind of that
fact that I was using my own Apache and they forced me to shut that
apache service down, since it violates their security policies.  So if
you continue down the shared hosting path with FGS just beware of this
possibility (I've since moved to a dedicated server).  And keep in mind
that there is yet another possibility: using a hosting provider that has
mapserver services (http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/wiki/HostingProviders)

None of this helps your issue, but I just wanted to let you know that
you're not alone on this battle!

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna