[FGS] new to MapServer

Normand Savard nsavard at mapgears.com
Thu Jul 30 09:59:44 EST 2009

Michael Savarese wrote:

> I'm new to MapServer and Linux and  I'm trying to get the basic "hello
> world" example  from  the Apress book "Beginning MapServer" and things
> aren't going well. I've installed FGS 9.5 on Ubuntu 9. I guess I need
> to know what configuration files are needed and where they go,
> something like a checklist. I have apache up and running and when I
> run the the url http://localhost/hello.html Firefox returns "Firefox
> can't establish a connection to the server at localhost."
>
> to the point: is there a more up to date how to for FGS MapServer. Any
> help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I've now realized
> attempting Linux and MapServer at the same time is foolish but ......

Michael,

I don't think this is foolish.  First just access the url
http://localhost:yourport/ <http://localhost/hello.html> .  You should
see the FGS welcome page displayed.  If not, your Apache server (the one
that comes with FGS) is not started.  Go in $FGS_HOME directory, do ".
setenv.sh" and then "fgs start".  Try to load the page again.

p.s.:  Apache runs on a specific port and you need to specify it in the URL.

Norm