[FGS] Installation Problem

chris carleton w_chris_carleton at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 19 16:18:53 EST 2009

Hi All,

I'm new to Ubuntu Server and webhosting in general. I've used Ubuntu desktop for a while though. I was trying to install FGS using the sh on the website, but encountered a problem with the Apache Installation/configure. Everything was installing fine and then the following...

general options:
  --quiet | -q      don't give process information to stdout
  --force-badname   allow usernames which do not match the
                    NAME_REGEX[_SYSTEM] configuration variable
  --help | -h       usage message
  --version | -v    version number and copyright
  --conf | -c FILE  use FILE as configuration file

! Cannot create user 'apache', could not start apache as root.

To start installed FGS's daemon at boot time, do (as root) :

$ echo "su root -c \"( . /opt/fgs/setenv.sh ; fgs start )\"" >> /etc/rc.d/rc.local

Before using the FGS environment, you need to set some
environment variables (each time you login) :

$ cd /opt/fgs
$ . setenv.sh

OR you can do it automatically each time you log in by doing :

echo ". /opt/fgs/setenv.sh" >> ~/.bashrc

I can't figure out where Apache is and I can't start/stop the service so I can't check to see if the rest installed because when I do:

sudo w3m http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv/

I get the following error;

w3m: Can't load http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv/.

I'm assuming that it means I don't have Apache2 running on the system so something went wrong with the install. Any help is appreciated.

Chris