[FGS] A couple quirks with 9.5

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Oct 15 12:43:27 EST 2009

Folks,

I'm looking to use FGS for a "stock binary" comparison for the benchmarking.
I did:

wget -q http://www.maptools.org/dl/fgs/releases/9.5/installer.sh
sh ./installer.sh
fgs install mapserver-base:5.4.2

At the end of the install I see:

* Module 'mapserver-base' installed with success.
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent
directories: No such file or directory
chdir: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent
directories: No such file or directory
+ Starting 'apache':

The errors are a bit disturbing though they don't seem to have caused any
problems.  If I try to use mapserv, I find ming-lib did not get installed,
and I have to install it explicitly like:

fgs install ming-lib:0.4.2

Perhaps there is a missing dependency on ming-lib for mapserver-base?

PS. I'm contemplating working on an OpenEV package for FGS and providing a
self-extracting style FGS bundle as a replacement for my moribund FWTools
for linux distribution.  Any up front warnings about such an idea?  Where
do I get the fgs VM image that I understand is used for builds?