[FWTools] Support for SRTM data

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 23:20:28 EDT 2005

On 4/19/05, Robert Uzgalis <buz at zis.com> wrote:
> I just installed fwtools (on a winnt system) and tried displaying some
> SRTM-1 data and then realized that there seemed to be no support of SRTM
> data at all.  Am I missing something simple?  Or is it just not there.

Buz,

SRTM is a data product.  What format is it distributed in?  I have most
often seen it distributed as raw binaries files with a particular naming
conventions, and in some cases associated ascii header files (.ers
in one case I have noticed).

GDAL doesn't have any specific support for the SRTM naming
convention and only supports the raw files if they have a supported
header format (the ers files don't work as I recall).