[FWTools] fwtools 0.9.8 error on RHEL 3

Norman Barker nbarker at rsinc.com
Fri Apr 29 05:32:44 EDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Warmerdam [mailto:fwarmerdam at gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2005 10:43 PM
To: Norman Barker
Cc: fwtools at lists.maptools.org
Subject: Re: [FWTools] fwtools 0.9.8 error on RHEL 3

On 4/28/05, Norman Barker <nbarker at rsinc.com> wrote:
> I have upgraded my install of FWTools to the latest version on RHEL (Linux),
> but am having problems using
> any of the gdal libraries.
>
> The mapserv works fine, but the commands gdalinfo etc just hang, using
> gdal_translate I get a segmentation fault.

Norman,

Wow, that's pretty funky.  I am vaguely suspecting it relates to
the libgcc_s.so issue.  Any chance of getting a temporary account
on a Fedora Core 3 sytem from you (or anyone else?)

Certainly is pretty odd!! A couple of us here looked at and we found that the binaries were ok
(/usr/local/FWTools/bin) if we ran them as say '. gdalinfo filename', so it was the scripts that
were not getting executed on RHEL correctly.

Odd to me that it was working with previous versions of FWTools, I would blame RHEL, since it works
fine on Fedora Core 4 at home.

I got round it by doing this by creating this script in my cgi-bin directory for mapserver and explicitly setting
LD_LIBRARY_PATH again!!

#!/bin/sh
. /usr/local/FWTools/fwtools_env.sh
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/FWTools/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
exec mapserv "$*"

And this worked, any ideas on getting working without the hack?

Many thanks,

Norman