[FWTools] FWTools 0.9.6 Release

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Feb 17 09:53:32 EST 2005

Folks,

I have prepared an FWTools 0.9.6 release.  They are available for download
at the usual place:

   http://www.gdal.org/dl/fwtools/

FWTools is a pre-built and integrate suite of free GIS components including
GDAL/OGR, PROJ.4, OGDI, MapServer and OpenEV. General information is available
at:

   http://fwtools.maptools.org/

On windows this release catches the various projects up to the current
development version but otherwise things have not changed noticable.

On Linux though there have been a number of changes in 0.9.5. Noteable:

  o Rebuilt all C++ components with gcc 3.2.3.  I had been using gcc 2.95 which
    was inadequate for some of the more demanding projects.

  o Added GEOS support in the OGR build (also installed the geos dev environment)
    (Hmm ... it just occured to me I didn't include MapServe GEOS support ... I
    will try and hit that for 0.9.7).

  o Added ECW support using the ERMapper 3.1beta ECW SDK.  Yippee!

  o Added netcdf (and GMT netcdf) driver support.  I needed to rebuild the HDF
    libraries to avoid exporting a netcdf style API to make this work.

As usual let me know if you encounter problems. For FWTools packaging problems
submit bugs in FWTools bugzilla.  For issues related to particular packages that
isn't related to how they are built and distributed in FWTools submit to the
appropriate projects.