[FWTools] Using FW Tools with Windows XP

John Tilley john at tilley.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 19 17:50:06 EST 2005

Frank - I must be missing something - but after several hours I am
getting nowhere fast. Thanks for confirming that most users run on
Windows.

What I actually want to do is to run OGRINFO and then OGR2OGR against
VMAP0 - if I can do this through the FW_TOOLS shell thats fine. I don't
want to use OPENEV.

I can use OGRINFO against a SHP file and also open the SHP file in
OPENEV - that of course doesn't use the OGDI vector driver support.

If I type in "ogrinfo gltp:\vrf\E:\vmap0\v0eur\vmaplv0\eurnasia" - then
I get "unable to open datasource with following drivers" - one of the
drivers listed is OGDI which is the one I want to use.

If I type in "openev gltp:\vrf\E:\vmap0\v0eur\vmaplv0\eurnasia" then it
gets more interesting as I get 9 lines of "loading tools" then I get
"ERROR 4: - 'gltp:\vrf\E:\vmap0\v0eur\vmaplv0\eurnasia' does not exist
in the file system, and is not recongised as a supported dataset name"

Any suggestions - does FW Tools support the NTFS file-system on Windows?
- do I have to do something else after opening the FWTools Shell before
trying an OGRINFO command?

I know that Markus Neteler managed to use OGR2OGR on Linux to convert
VMAP0 to SHP and set up a website using this data - but the file-names
were a problem.

Any help much appreciated - Thx - John

--
John Tilley