[FWTools] Specific number format for columns in DBF Files

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Nov 4 09:56:39 EST 2005

On 11/4/05, "Möckel, Alexander" <Alexander.Moeckel at ibykus.de> wrote:
> Hi List,
> I have the problem, that a third party tool cannot write correctly into a DBF file which is created with ogr2ogr when converting data to ESRI-Shape. The column has that definition "DAT,N,24,15" and should have that one "DAT,N,12,2". I don't know, why that tools has problems, but I ca't do anything against that :(
> Now the question: Can I define somewehre (in GFS File?) the format of the column? Is ther somewhere a documentation about what one can define in the gfs file?

Alex,

Good question.  Unfortunately, it seems I neglected to include
any precision options in the .gfs files.  You could likely write a
python script or C++ program to translate the data with the
desired precision but that would be quite a bit of work.  You
might find it easier to use some sort of "dbase" type program to
convert the .dbf file in advance.