[FWTools] ogr2ogr - converting shape to tab

Esben.Auken esben.auken at geo.au.dk
Fri Nov 25 05:28:16 EST 2005

Hi,
We use ogr2ogr to convert tab files to shape file and visa versa. We got
a problem converting from shape to tab using the following syntax:

1.
gr2ogr -f "MapInfo File" -a_srs "+proj=utm +zone=32 +ellps=GRS80
+units=m +no_defs  no_defs <>"
"D:\SG\WorkspaceInterbase\BackgroundThemes\jernbane.tab"
"U:\temp\amtsShpfiles\Kort\jernbane.shp"

or 2.
ogr2ogr -f "MapInfo File" -s_srs "+proj=utm +zone=32 +ellps=GRS80
+units=m +no_defs  no_defs <>" -a_srs "+proj=utm +zone=32 +ellps=GRS80
+units=m +no_defs  no_defs <>"
"D:\SG\WorkspaceInterbase\BackgroundThemes\jernbane.tab"
"U:\temp\amtsShpfiles\Kort\jernbane.shp"

We use the proj4 syntax for coordinate systems.

The problem is that the output tab file does not contain coordinate
system information when checking the file in MapInfo. There is not
difference using 1 or 2. Can anybody please help us by pointing to what
we do wrong.

We have also tried to re-project the shape file specifying a -t_srs
parameter but that makes the tab file unreadable by MapIndo.

Converting the other way around (shape to tab) seems to work fine except
that we do get a prj file.

Sincerely

Esben Auken

 Esben Auken, Ph.D, Ass. Prof.
 The HydroGeophysics Group
 Department of Earth Sciences, University of Aarhus
 Finlandsgade 8, 8200 Århus N, Denmark
 Phone:   +45 8942 4326 / Fax +45 8610 1003
 Private: +45 8618 1767
 www:     www.gfs.au.dk (Danish) / www.hgg.au.dk (English)
 E-mail:  mailto:esben.auken at geo.au.dk