[FWTools] Re: FWTools Digest, Vol 18, Issue 11

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Apr 18 09:01:59 EDT 2006

Sujoy Chaudhuri wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm also using 1.0.0a9 - but I found that geom.GetArea and
> geom.GetEnvelope work really well! I dug out a post by Frank on another
> list where he mentions that the GEOS support for distance was not
> enabled for Windows. I wrote a simpleroutine that does the same thing
> using great-arcs, but depending on the formula used, am producing very
> different results - has anyone worked this one out?

Sujoy,

I am quite certain that the Distance() method in OGR (calling GEOS) does
not attempt to take great-arc distance into account.  It is a simple euclidean
distance in the coordinate system of the geometries.

If you wanted something to compare against you might look at the geod program
from the PROJ.4 distribution though I haven't used it much myself.