[FWTools] ESRI JPG/ with JGW files conversion

Shaun Kolomeitz shaun.kolomeitz at epa.qld.gov.au
Thu Aug 17 21:26:10 EDT 2006

Dear Listers,

I have struck a problem converting a JPG file with an ESRI world file (JGW) and trying to maintain the position of the image in "real world" coordinates.
When I do a GDALINFO on the images for example -

Z:\image\9541\0.6>gdalinfo 9541-1122.jpg
Driver: JPEG/JPEG JFIF
Size is 1608, 3227
Coordinate System is `'
Corner Coordinates:
Upper Left  (    0.0,    0.0)
Lower Left  (    0.0, 3227.0)
Upper Right ( 1608.0,    0.0)
Lower Right ( 1608.0, 3227.0)
Center      (  804.0, 1613.5)
Band 1 Block=1608x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Red
Band 2 Block=1608x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Green
Band 3 Block=1608x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Blue

This is despite a JGW (world file) existing.
As such when I try to translate the image it loses the appropriate conversion parameters listed in the JGW file.

Any suggestions on how I could convert these files using GDAL commands ?

Thanks in advance,
Shaun

Disclaimer

This e-mail, including attachments if any, has originated from a Queensland government agency and may contain information that is confidential, or covered by legal professional privilege, and is intended for the named recipient(s) only.  If you have received this message in error, you are asked to inform the sender as quickly as possible and delete this message and any copies of this message from your computer system network.

Any form of disclosure, modification, distribution and/or publication of this e-mail, including attachments is prohibited.  Unless otherwise stated, this e-mail, including attachments represents the views of the sender and not the views of the Environmental Protection Agency.

Although this e-mail has been checked for the presence of computer viruses, the Environmental Protection Agency provides no warranty that all possible viruses have been detected and cleaned.  Any use of this e-mail could harm your computer system.