[FWTools] ECW Conversion and TIF Tiling

Roger Andre randre at google.com
Tue Dec 19 15:34:10 EST 2006

Hi Eric,

I agree with Frank, create a GeoTIFF with the projection and
georeferencing defined in it, before you tile the image.  I've attached
a little tiling script written in Perl that will work on a Linux machine
which has FWTools installed on it.  You can probably make it work in
Windows too, but I can't help you there.

The script allows you to specify a pixel dimension that is then used to
determine the tile size in both X and Y axes.  It basically creates a
bunch of "gdal_translate -srcwin" commands to cut up the image, and
passes those commands to the shell for execution.

It works for me, but your mileage may vary.

Roger
--
PS - This could be done much more elegantly in Python using the API that
comes in FWTools.  I didn't know either of those real well when I wrote