[FWTools] MODIS processing

Ned Horning nedh at lightlink.com
Wed Jan 4 16:29:49 EST 2006

Frank,

First the good news. Using -s_srs "WGS84" fixed the problem.

Now the bad news. The resulting image is poorly projected. After digging
into this a bit it seems as if the initial GCP assignment might not be
accurate. I noticed this when I loaded the HDF image into OpenEV_FW and
checked the coordinates of some points around the image (using the cursor
and overlaying a shapefile) and the coordinates were off 10's of kilometers.
I would expect these coordinates to be quite accurate. The processing also
took about 20 minutes for each image I supposed because there were so many
GCPs. When I ran gdalwarp on some Landsat images it was lighting fast.

I used ENVI to project the same file and that result looks fine so I'm
pretty sure the data is okay (or at least as ok as HDF data ever gets). In
any case, I uploaded a sample HDF file, the output from gdalwarp (band 1
only), the output from ENVI, and a screen shot with a vector overlay on the
HDF image in OpenEV_FW. These are all on my ftp site:
ftp://ftp.amnh.org/pub/people/horning/downloads/MODIS

Any thoughts before I start looking into other options?

One more question. Is it possible to project two images without doing
interpolation using gdalwarp? In other words can you do a rigorous
transformation using all pixels rather than interpolating between points or
applying a polynomial?

Thanks for your help with this.

Ned

warmerdam at pobox.com