[FWTools] ogr2ogr merging a directory of shapefiles into one shapefile

David Fawcett david.fawcett at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 16:04:06 EST 2006

I am sure that this is an obvious one, but I can't seem to figure out a
syntax (as usual!).

Is there a way to use ogr2ogr to take a directory of shapefiles and append
their features into an existing shapefile? I have been playing with using
directory names, -update -append, etc. and can't seem to find a solution.

Let's say that:

d:/myInDir/    is the input directory
file_merge.shp is the target shapefile and it is sitting in
d:/myInDir/output/

OR, do I get the opportunity to write a quick Python script to do it?

Thanks,

David.