[FWTools] Questions about Python, GTK and Fwtools

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Nov 20 22:39:45 EST 2006

Luca Manganelli wrote:
> Hi, some questions:
>
> - when will Fwtools support Python 2.5?

Luca,

I don't know.  My understanding is that the "stock" python 2.5 binaries
depend on Visual Studio 2005 and I'm not keen to transition FWTools to
this unnecessarily.

> - ... and GTK 2.10 (PyGTK 2.10) ? there are MANY improvements from
> previous versions.

This won't happen till I migrate to OpenEV 2.  I can't imagine that
happening for several months, at best.

> - Can I put OGR and GDAL modules into Python 2.4-2.5 for windows? If
> yes, how can I do it?

You can build GDAL/OGR normally, updating the nmake.opt file to refer
to your python installation.   But you won't be able to mix the result
with the rest of FWTools.