[FWTools] Gdaltranslate ESRI grid to GeoTIFF: pixel values are blown up.

Frans Knibbe frans at geodan.nl
Wed Oct 4 08:53:38 EDT 2006

Hello list,

Frank has had a look at the sample data now. The conclusions are that
gdaltranslate did not actually blow up the pixel values. It produces a
TIFF file that is almost the same as a TIFF file produced by ArcMap,
only it does not produce an associated *.aux file. ArcMap uses
information from this *.aux file to get the minimum and maximum pixel
values. If I delete the aux file, ArcMap reports the same minimum and
maximum values for both TIFFs (ArcMap-produced and
gdal_translate-produced) . Both those values are wrong. The nodata value
is -3,4E38. The information that -3,4E38 is the nodata value gets lost
somehow when translation to TIFF is done. So the TIFF has pixel values
between the real minimum and maximum ( -6.96 and 30.5 for example), plus
some pixels with value -3,4E38.

I was misled by ArcMap not showing the right information for TIFF files
that doe not have an *.aux file. I will now further investigate the
problem of drawing the TIFFs in mapserver.

Greetings,

Frans