[FWTools] Missing headers and stuff

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Sep 27 10:48:01 EDT 2006

Mark Overmeer wrote:
> FWTools does contain, for instance, the tiff* programs, headers and
> manual pages (tiff2bw, tiffio.h, libtiff.3tiff) and quite a few other.
> But FWTools lacks parts of
>    - libjpeg (cjpeg, jpeglib.h)
>    - libpng (libpng.h, libpng.3)
> and so on.
>
> Of course, the size of the FWTools package will increase considerably,
> when extra binaries are included (although they are mainly small
> wrappers around the dynamic libs) Adding the header-files comes cheap.
> This is the only way to make your effort re-useable in a larger system.
> It would be so nice to use the same library versions in all the programs.
>
> If you worry about the package size, it might be possible to create
> a small version (only core software) and an extended version (including
> manuals, header-files, library scripts + bins of all) of FWTools...
> I know this is at least a day of work. Sorry. :-(

Mark,

If you submit a bug report against fwtools with the missing components, I'll
try to add them as time permits.  Please be specific about whether you are
using/needing them on windows or linux.

While developers aren't my primary target audience for FWTools, I try to
include stuff needed by developers when it isn't too inconvenient.