[FWTools] FwTools redistribute license

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Apr 6 13:54:14 EDT 2007

CodeKaizen wrote:
> Hi all -
>
> I'm currently supporting a project called SharpMap which makes use of
> the csharp bindings provided by FwTools.
>
> I'd like to check in these bindings with the project source so that the
> source tree can be consistent and not everyone have a different location
> for them.
>
> I couldn't find the licesne terms for FwTools and am not sure if this
> kind of redistribution is permissable.
>
> Can anyone let me know if this would be permitted?

Code Kaizen,

FWTools has no licensing beyond that of the various component projects.  So
in theory you need to review the licenses of those projects if you want to
be certain of appropriate rights.

If you are just using the csharp bindings then mostly you need to worry about
GDAL licensing which is MIT/X, and thus very permissive.  Caveat's you might
want to review are the licenses for the ECW and MrSID SDK distributed with
FWTools.

I'm not not sure what you mean by "I'd like to check in these bindings with
the project source so that the source tree can be consistent and not
everyone have a different location for them."  Are you just wanting to
re-organize the components of FWTools you use in a SharpMaps release?  I
certainly don't have any problem with that.