[FWTools] Setting FWTools environment from within Cygwin

Roger Andre randre at google.com
Sat Apr 7 20:43:51 EDT 2007

Hi Everyone,

I'm setting up a new Windows machine and would like to be able to run
all of the GDAL, OGR, and Frank_Special.py utilities from within
Cygwin.  I'm slowly but surely getting there, and can run the GDAL
utilities properly by having defined a couple new environment
variables in my /etc/profile file:

PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/cygdrive/c/Program\
Files/FWTools1.2.2/bin:$PATH
FWTOOLS_DIR=/cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/FWTools1.2.2

However, I realize this isn't ideal, and that I'm actually
circumventing some pretty clever logic that is used to ensure that all
of FW's stuff sources its own environment before it runs.  It seems
like the more correct way to do this would be to re-create the
"bin_safe" directory that exists in Linux, and then point my PATH to
that directory.  That way when I ran a tool - say "gdalinfo", I would
be running .../bin_safe/gdalinfo first, which would then set all the
env variables for the "real" gdalinfo.

Anyone done this already?

Thanks,

Roger