[FWTools] Reading ADRG raster data

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Apr 12 11:35:44 EDT 2007

matthew beckett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know it has been a while since you replied however I am a bit
> confused. I have an ADRG file with the structure:
>
> ROOT
>    | TRANSH01.THF            -       The Transmittal Header File
>    | TESTPA01.CPH            -       Test Patch Image File
>    +-ssccdd01
>          | ssccdd01.GEN        -       General Information file
>          | ssccdd01.QAL         -       Quality file
>          | ssccdd01.OVR        -       Overview Image file
>          | ssccddzz.IMG        -       Main Raster Image
>          +-ssccddgg
>                    ssccddgg.SOU        -       Source File
>                    ssccddkk.Lgg        -       Raster Legend Image
> where:
> 'zzzzz' or 'ssccdd' are six alphanumeric characters which uniquely
> identify the dataset to which the file belongs
> 'dd'(ASRP data), 'zz' or 'kk'(ADRG data) are two alphanumeric characters
> which identify the occurence of the file type within the dataset
> 'cc' or 'gg'is the number assigned to the image's source graphic
>
> Now I’m not too sure what you meant by “For datasets going through the
> OGDI library in GDAL you need to use a somewhat esoteric name for the
> dataset.” But I assume that the above file structure is similar to the
> one you are using.
>
> My question is with an ADRG in the above file structure how would this
> be opened/imported into the OpenEV, which option/method should I be
> using from the menu selections available in the software? (I’ve included
> a screen shot of what I assume should be opening the ADRG, the OpenEV:
> View <openEV.jpg>).
>
> Could you please help by confirming that the above file structure is
> what the software is expecting and could you also provide a dummy’s
> guide to using the software to open the ADRG? As I have tried a few
> thing but I get an error similar to the second attached image <error.jpg>.

Matthew,

I have:

warmerda at amd64[39]% ls -R /usr4/mpp1/adrg/
/usr4/mpp1/adrg/:
TESTPA01.CPH  TPUS0101  TRANSH01.THF

/usr4/mpp1/adrg/TPUS0101:
TPUS0101  TPUS0101.GEN  TPUS0101.IMG  TPUS0101.OVR  TPUS0101.QAL  TPUS0102.IMG

/usr4/mpp1/adrg/TPUS0101/TPUS0101:
TPUS0101.SOU  TPUS01EL.L01  TPUS01GR.L01  TPUS01IN.L01

So, yes, I believe what I have is similar to what you have.

For this dataset I use the gltp url "gltp:/adrg/usr4/mpp1/adrg/TPUS0101"

For FWTools you can't enter this in the file selector so you need to do
it in advance at the commandline when launching openev from the FWTools
shell.

eg.
openev.bat gltp:/adrg/n:/usr4/mpp1/adrg/TPUS0101

Good luck,