[FWTools] install mapserver from FWtools for linux

Peter Shrock thesl at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 8 15:02:00 EDT 2007

Hello, Frank:

I never used Linux and do not have a Linux system.

I found that Both MS4W and FWTools targeted new complete installation of
MapServer, which is great. However, there are also quite a few times that GIS
people have to deal with existing systems with very limited previledges.

I am wondering if it is possible for FWTools to issue a "thin" FWTools
mapserver package targeting existing Apache/PHP/PostGIS environment, which has
the mapserver cgi, the corresponding libraries (libpng, freetype, libgd, Zlib,
Proj4, GEOS, GDAL), and warpper script. Mapserver will support WMS and PostGIS.

After I posted my quesiton, I have received inqueries regarding my progress. I
think this "thin" FWTools package will serve a certian percentage of Open GIS
community members and promote Open Source GIS.

Thanks

Peter