[FWTools] GRIB support in GDAL

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue May 22 12:30:47 EDT 2007

Kolberg Sjur A wrote:

> Hello, list!
>
> I noticed the new GRIB support introduced with FWtools 1.2.1, somewhat
> vaguely communicated on the GDAL website, so I tried one of my files.
>
> It doesn't go far, GDALOpen() does not abort, but produces a GDALDataset
> with attributes that make little sense:
> (poDriver=0x00000000, nRasterXsize=0, nRasterYsize=8 and
> nBands=31083872...)
>
> GDALINFO is at least able to recognise this as a GRIB file; output
> below.
>
> I tried to attach the file, got stuck in size limits, happy to resend on
> request.
>
> Is GRIB a format with a myriad of dialects and conventions, or does
> anyone know what might be missing here?
>
> The behaviour is the same on FWTools 1.2.2 and 1.3.1
> I am on Windows XP.

Sjur,

GRIB is a very flexible format that can be used to hold a variety of
scientific data.  Establishing which data objects in the file should
be treated as raster (2D array) datasets for GDAL can be difficult.

I'm not sure why your file is not working, but my suggestion is to
provide a pointer to them on the gdal-dev list in the hopes that some
of the folks working on the GRIB driver can comment.

I am not aware of how it works internally.