[FWTools] OpeNDAP and GDAL - I am going brain dead

Michael Sumner mdsumner at utas.edu.au
Thu Nov 15 06:27:57 EST 2007

Do you have the OpenDAP driver support built?  Does gdal_translate
--formats report OpenDAP as supported? If so you are much farther ahead
than we ever got.

When a (much more experienced) friend of mine looked at this with me, it
came down to incredibly difficult-to-debug problems involving OpenDAP's
dependencies when compiling from source. This was using Cygwin: his
conclusion was "wait until someone fixes xyz".  I think "xyz" might have
been libcurl, or something that depends on in turn.

We didn't get close to compiling the OpenDAP sources - which is the
starting point you would work from in order to build GDAL support for
that driver.

I'd rather lobby for worldwide, permanent abandonment of this format,
than to try to figure it all out. It's incredibly limited and painful to
use even when it "works", requiring endless augmentation to obtain
usable data, in my experience (which was by running Matlab processes on
Linux from R).

But if you make any progress I'd love to hear about it.

Cheers, Mike.