[FWTools] Documentation and delivery of REC, GRASS, GPX, GML and Interlis drivers

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Nov 19 09:40:22 EST 2007

Stefan Keller wrote:
> So, will both - GPX and expat - make it into 2.0.1 (linux and Windows)?
> The ability to have default GPX reading support sounds appealing to me.

Stefan,

I try not to make commitments on this sort of things since it just makes
me hold of on FWTools releases.  I anticipate GPX and expat making it into
a future windows FWTools release.  I believe GPX support will be fully
available in the next linux fwtools release.

> Sorry: GML writing works.GML reading needs xerxes: So we have two
> differend libraries, expat and xerxes, for reading XML. This could
> perhaps enhanced while upgrading to GML 3: Any plans?

Possibly, but Interlis still uses Xerces.  I'm not prepared to make
any commitments with regard to GML and reducing the number of XML
parsing libraries used is not a priority for me.

>     I'm starting to wonder if you are mixing up the "stock" GDAL DLLs
>     distributed from download.osgeo.org <http://download.osgeo.org>, and
>     FWTools.  FWTools is not
>     maintained by "those", but just by me.   And it does have GML and
>     hopefully will include GPX.
>

> No, I just wasn't shure who makes the Windows delivery. But yes,
> distribution of OGR/GDAL/FWTools through download.osgeo.org
> <http://download.osgeo.org> doesn't make in easiert for newcomers to
> catch the latest stable version.

FWTools is very deliberately *not* distributed through download.osgeo.org
because it is not in any way officially affiliated with OSGeo.  There are
official windows binaries for the GDAL project available on download.osgeo.org
but they do not include the same number of optional components as FWTools.

>     An MIT/X DXF read/writer without dependencies on external libraries
>     would
>     be a valuable addition to GDAL/OGR.
>
>     Best regards,
>
> What do you mean with MIT/X?

MIT/X is the short name for the open source license that GDAL is released
under (the same as the X windows system from MIT was released under).  I
mention this as opposed to a driver that depends on the external open
design alliance libraries which have a non-free license.