[FWTools] Documentation and delivery of REC, GRASS, GPX, GML and Interlis drivers

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Nov 19 14:22:29 EST 2007

Stefan Keller wrote:
> Frank,
>
> Now I confused. Your wrote:
>  > a future windows FWTools release.  I believe GPX support will be fully
>  > available in the next linux fwtools release.
>  > because it is not in any way officially affiliated with OSGeo.  There are
>  > official windows binaries for the GDAL project available on
> download.osgeo.org <http://download.osgeo.org>
>  > but they do not include the same number of optional components as
> FWTools.
>
> download.osgeo.org <http://download.osgeo.org> is a bare bone page
> whereas on http://fwtools.maptools.org/ is says "FWTools: Open Source
> GIS Binary Kit for Windows and Linux (including subpackages GDAL/OGR)"

> * Which is the official Windows download site to point our links to?

Stefan,

http://download.osgeo.org is the official download site for the GDAL/OGR
project, and includes minimal Win32 binaries (in the gdal/win32 subdirectory).

FWTools is only a product of Frank Warmerdam, and is not directly affiliated
with OSGeo or the GDAL project.  It is one of a number of such binary build
options that include GDAL/OGR (also MS4W, Debian GIS, etc).

> * Are you saying that neither both sites nor both OS' (Windows and
> Linux) contain the same OGR readers/writers?

What readers and writers get built into any particular build of
GDAL/OGR will depend on the build time options selected.  So,
for instance, FWTools for linux and windows have slight different
mixes of formats supported.  The official GDAL/OGR binaries for win32
have substantially less formats enabled.