[Fwd: [FWTools] Dtat Conversion]

guillaume huby guillaume.huby.lists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 08:30:06 EDT 2007

Dear Mustafa,

Good Day,
> I have recently installed the FWTools windows version and i am very
> excited to learn more on how to use this service. I need to learn about
> the format conversion. I tried to follow the example shown in the
> documentation provided with the software, but i got nowhere. Can anyone
> help me or point to me a detailed information on how to use this
> service. And is there any pre-requisited softwares to be installed prior
> to using this service.

There should be no pre-requisited software to use FWTools. In order to make
format conversion, you should use  FWTools shell (you should have the icon
on your desktop) and use command line tools.
For Images, you can use gdal_translate (see
http://www.gdal.org/gdal_translate.html for options) and file formats are
described on http://www.gdal.org/formats_list.html.
For vectors, you can use ogr2ogr (see
http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr2ogr.htmlfor options) and file formats are