[FWTools] RE: FWTools Digest, Vol 46, Issue 8

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Aug 14 14:23:47 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 12:46 PM, Vince Ulfig <vulfig at hotmail.com> wrote:
> OK.  Thank you.  Sounds very good.
> I'll just use the bindings that come with FWTOOLS.
> That is preferable.
>
> Sorry to have the dunce cap on,
> but I can't seem to figure out how to use the FWTOOLS Python bindings.
> Could you point me to a doc that has a recipe for using them?
>
> If I write import ogr or import osgeo into a python script,
> I get an error if I don't copy gdal15.dll and geos_c_fw.dll
> from C:\gdalwin32-1.5\bin to c:\program files\fwtools2.1.0\bin
> or put C:\gdalwin32-1.5\bin in the path.

Vince,

One key thing to keep in mind is that you need to use the
FWTools python from within the fwtools environment in order
to use the FWTools python bindings.  So, for instance, at
the FWTools shell prompt you can say:

python
import gdal

If you can't launch your script from the fwtools shell
(ie. python yourscript.py) then you will need to carefully
setup a comparible environment.  You would need to
trace through the scripts to see what they do.