[FWTools] gdaltindex - performance issue with lots of files?

Paul McCullough Paul.McCullough at sfgov.org
Fri Feb 1 13:39:31 EST 2008

When I run
    gdaltindex -tileindex location level0 *.tif
in a directory with 33672 tif files, the process takes about 24 hours.
While it does finish properly, 24 hours seems too long.
(windows xp - sp 4 - 2GB RAM; FWTools 2.0.2)
In other layers of my image pyramid, gdaltindex completes in what I consider
reasonable times.
For example, another layer with about 2000 files, runs in about 90 seconds.
It appears that the increase in time with larger file counts is non-linear.
I can collect more data if that would help but I suspect there is BigOh kind
of problem here.
Also, it seems quite reasable to have 30000 tile polygons.

I have tried these forms of the cmd line on medium file counts and seen
little difference:
    gdaltindex -tileindex location test1 *.tif
    gdaltindex -tileindex location test2 --optfile files
I have not tried this unix cmd line form:
    find $PWD -name "*.tif" -exec gdaltindex srtm-index3 {} \;

Regards,
Paul