[FWTools] HDF5 Complex Dataset porting in GEOTIFF

andyNEXT andrea.pistoni at next.it
Mon Feb 4 05:29:28 EST 2008

Hi Frank!

The Complex Dataset is only one of the quetion I have to resolve about HDF5.

I'm working on COSMO-SKYMED H5 files and I have other problems such as the
correct north orientation of the images that is more serious than first.

Using Gdal, the GeoTiff file from H5 (with normal dataset [MxN]) is not
correctly georeferenced because the COSMO images are stored in the H5 file
depending on the flight direction of the satellite [Right Ascending, Left
Ascending, Right Descending, Left Descending] and this information [Look
side and Orbital Direction] are not considered from the Gdal library during
the creation of the Geotiff.

I'm thinking to develop a dedicated driver only for COSMO but I'm not able
to estimate the time I have to spent in order to realize it. The Project
Mileston is the end of February.....

I've already used the HDF5 library (Java) some time ago in another project
but I didn't need to convert the Dataset in Geotiff such now. At the moment,
I don't know how to integrate my experiences about HDF5 in the GDAL
environment in order to resolve my task problem.

What do you think about? Do I need really to make a new COSMO H5 driver to
add in GDAL? Or is it better to integrate in my SW Project the HDF5 Group
Library with the GDAL?

Regards,

Andrea Pistoni