[FWTools] SUMMARY - RESOLVED - Re: gdaltindex - performance issue with lots of files?

Paul McCullough Paul.McCullough at sfgov.org
Mon Feb 4 16:05:08 EST 2008

All,

I have downloaded and installed FWTOOLS 2.0.6.
When I run gdaltindex it *still* takes too long - in other words, longer
than I expect.
So, as suggested by Ed, I defragmented the disk.
One indication is this: I have 30K+ files in a single directory.
Since I am new to putting this many files in one place, it never occured to
me to defrag.
Seems obvious now.
Anyway, the defrag took a while; it's a 500GB drive.
Once this was done, here were my actual time differences (collected without
rigor)
2000 files: 2 minutes
8000 files: 12 minutes
I was expected about 8 minutes but 12 seems reasonable.

I anticipate another benefit - faster Image Mosaic perfromance.

Thanks to Frank Warmerdam and Ed McNierney.
Regards
Paul