[FWTools] OGR2OGR MULTIPOLYGON verses outer and inner rings

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Jan 7 13:01:02 EST 2008

David R Robison wrote:
> The data has been provided to me in a Personal Geo Database. I am
> processing it and loading it into a PostGIS database. Thanks, David

David,

Interesting.  There was a bunch of work done for GDAL/OGR 1.5.0 in the
shapefile driver to better categorize rings in polygons and multipolygons.
The personal geodatabase driver uses essentially the same disk format
but may lack some of the logic in the shapefile driver.  I believe the
special logic in GDAL/OGR 1.5 was based on having GEOS built in.

If you can easily do so, you might want to dump the personal geodatabase
to shapefile(s) with either ArcGIS or even perhaps ogr2ogr, and then
read back from that to see if the geometries are correctly interpreted.

Best regards,