[FWTools] ogr2ogr and postgres 8.3.4

Chetan Tiwari chetan.tiwari at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 10:19:21 EST 2008

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the note. I figured the problem out last night. I was
programatically creating tables in PostGIS, but not adding a corresponding
entry to the geometry_columns table. After I started doing that (adding an
appropriate entry in the geometry_columns table), ogr2ogr worked perfectly.
I guess this wasn't the case before, was it?

Thanks much,

Warm regards,

Chetan

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 8:26 AM, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com>wrote:

> Chetan Tiwari wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have been having some issues with ogr2ogr and postgres 8.3.4 on Linux. I
>> mainly use it to convert a postgis table to a shapefile. Ogr2ogr works fine
>> with 8.2.4, but seems to be giving me trouble with 8.3.4. <http://8.3.4<http://8.3.0.4/>.>
>> The error message with 8.3.4 is "Unable to open datasource
>> `PG:host=localhost user=user port=5489 dbname=dmap password=xxx' with the
>> following drivers.". I saw something on this list about the geometry_columns
>> table, but couldn't quite follow the thread.
>>
>> Any suggestions will be most appreaciated.
>>

> Chetan,
>
> Does ogrinfo work against this datasource name?
>
> Could you add "--debug on" (without the quotes) to your commandline and
> capture all the resulting output for us?
>
> Best regards,
> --

> warmerdam at pobox.com

Chetan Tiwari, PhD