[FWTools] how to install FW tools

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Sep 28 02:04:39 EDT 2008

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 6:15 AM, Alpha GRASS <alpha.grass at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
> I need to install FW tools on Windows/Linux, can you please give me the
> instructions or any guide lines to install and configure the FW Tools.

Jeevan,

The install procedures are different for windows and linux, but to
the extent they aren't obvious should be covered at:
  http://fwtools.maptools.org/linux-main.html

and

  http://fwtools.maptools.org/windows-main.html

> I need to convert JPEG to SHAPE format.

JPEG is a raster format, and shape is a vector format.
Generation of vectors from raster data is a very involved
process with many complexities.  And for the most part
there are not tools to do this in FWTools.

Are you trying to genterate polygon coverages of a
thematic raster? If so, you could look at gdal_polygonize.py
but i think it is not available in any FWTools release yet.

If you are looking for linework extractions, road identification
or the such, then you will need to look for other tools.