[FWTools] gdal_polygonize

John Zastrow jcz at northredoubt.com
Wed Apr 8 22:03:57 EST 2009

We need to vectorize a large class raster (landuse) that we produced
using spatial analyst. ArcGIS is refusing to take it further and our
friends at ESRI are stumped. So, we are ready throw some FOSS tools at
the problem and the next step is to simply vectorize about 12 raster
classes into a vector that we'll clean up from there. I  think
gdal_polygonize (http://www.gdal.org/gdal_polygonize.html) will help me
get the product out. But, I tried two types of FWtools installs for
Windows (osgeo and maptools) and was bitten by the "old gen" problem
with each.

I'll happily kick over to Ubuntu-based linux or keep on Windows if
someone can recommend a surefire way to get gdal_polygonize running
quickly - or recommend a replacement.