[FWTools] gdal_polygonize

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Apr 8 22:20:05 EST 2009

John Zastrow wrote:
> We need to vectorize a large class raster (landuse) that we produced
> using spatial analyst. ArcGIS is refusing to take it further and our
> friends at ESRI are stumped. So, we are ready throw some FOSS tools at
> the problem and the next step is to simply vectorize about 12 raster
> classes into a vector that we'll clean up from there. I  think
> gdal_polygonize (http://www.gdal.org/gdal_polygonize.html) will help me
> get the product out. But, I tried two types of FWtools installs for
> Windows (osgeo and maptools) and was bitten by the "old gen" problem
> with each.
>
> I'll happily kick over to Ubuntu-based linux or keep on Windows if
> someone can recommend a surefire way to get gdal_polygonize running
> quickly - or recommend a replacement.

John,

gdal_polygonize should be available as part of the gdal-dev (and perhaps
gdal16) package on OSGeo4W.

   http://osgeo4w.osgeo.org/

Install OSGeo4W, using the advanced install so you can select the
gdal-dev and gdal16 packages.

Afterwards launch the command prompt (OSGeo4W Shell) and at it type:

  gdaldev
  gdal_polygonize --help

hopefully it will be available and ready to use.