[FWTools] Basic help on how to use FWTools

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Apr 24 12:23:43 EST 2009

Aurora Sánchez Fernández wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed FWTools in my computer and I'm having some trouble. I'm
> trying to use GDAL library on Eclipse 3.4.2 platform and Windows
> environment. My questions are really basic: do I need to compile the
> library or can I just use the headers and compiled libraries included in
> FWTools?
>
> Is there any easy example that I can compile and run (C/C++) that uses
> GDAL? I haven't seen anyone mentioning Eclipse platform so I'm doubting
> that the library can work on it.

Aurora,

FWTools is not primarily intended as an SDK - that is for developers to
build on.  However, if you choose to use it that way, you should not
need to compile the libraries.  It should be possible to just reference
the FWTools include directory when compiling and link against stuff like
gdal_i.lib in the lib directory.

FWTools is built with MS Visual Studio 2003.  If you use a different
version of MSVC you may find you have to use the C (rather than C++) api
to avoid cross-runtime heap problems.

I have no experience with Eclipse as a C++ development environment.  I will
note that the MSVC compiled GDAL C API has been successfully used from other
quite different (non-MS) compilers.