[FWTools] FWTools - ogr2ogr

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jun 11 11:45:06 EST 2009

Clark, Nick J (UK) wrote:
> Could someone tell me what version of ogr2ogr (gdal) is in the current
> build (2.3.0) of FWTools for Windows.
>
> I downloaded the latest source code for gdal (1.6.1), built it and
> replaced the ogr2ogr executable in my FWTools installation with the new
> one, but when I try to run it I get an error dialogue box with the
> following text.
>
> "This application has failed to start because gdal16.dll was not found.
> Re-installing the application may fix this problem"
>
> Could someone please advise me if I'm using the wrong version of gdal or
> if not what else I'm doing wrong?

Nick,

FWTools is built from "development trunk" at or near the time of release.
Generally I would not advise mixing of executables from other versions with
FWTools GDAL DLL (or the opposite).  However, if you feel the need you can
compile ogr2ogr to use the FWTools DLL by ensuring that the include path
references the FWTools\include directory (instead of, for instance, the
GDAL 1.6 include files) and by linking against gdal_i.lib from the FWTools
lib directory.