[FWTools] openev failure

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Oct 5 14:08:53 EST 2009

Yasha Karant wrote:
> Your suggestion worked fine.  I just installed the same tar.gz to my
> office workstation (same Centos as my laptop), ran install.sh as root,
> issued your command from a terminal application under Xwindows,
> everything worked.  I disposed a copy to my printer, worked fine.
> Note that the printer interface is not CUPS, but rather a fork/exec of a
> lpr command -- thus I would manually have to modify the lpr command
> in the openev print dialog box to use other than the default printer
> (e.g., a networked color laser printer, my desktop unit being a
> monochrome laser printer).
>
> A question:
>
> the standard eog, etc., linux utilities view/print the major of imaging
> formats, but not yet JPEG2000.  Are there other such formats that
> FWTools handle
> that are not handled by the "standard" utilities?

Yasha,

There are many exotic remote sensing and geospatial formats supported by
OpenEV that are not handled by standard utilities.  A list of OpenEV/GDAL
supported formats is available at:

   http://www.gdal.org/formats_list.html

though not all of those formats would be supported by the FWTools for linux
version of OpenEV.