[FWTools] Gdal2tiles.py not working properly with FWTools-2.0.6

Aduragba Adekunjo Adura.Adekunjo at sigmaspace.com
Fri Aug 27 07:51:02 EST 2010

Since Gdal2tiles.py was missing after I installed FWTools-2.0.6 on
linux, I had to copy the older version that was posted at
http://www.klokan.cz/projects/gdal2tiles/gdal2tiles.py
But the image I got covered the whole globe in google earth. So I
decided to copy gdal2tiles.py from an installed GDAL 1.7.0 on my
computer and I then got the following error
*Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/adura/FWTools/FWTools-2.0.6/bin_safe/gdal2tiles.py", line
38, in ?
    from osgeo import gdal
ImportError: No module named osgeo*

The reason I decided to use FWTools rather than GDAL1.7.0 was because I
kept getting errors such as proj.4  cannot be found.
Is there a way I can install a FWTool with updated gdal2tiles.py on my
linux box? Or if not what are the various packages I need to install
along with GDAL1.7.0?

Thanks for your help