[FWTools] FWTools3 Experiment

Eli Adam EAdam at co.lincoln.or.us
Fri Dec 17 15:24:57 EST 2010

Frank,

     Thanks, this will make it easier to use more formats on linux.  I
tested Ubuntu 8.04 and had similar results to Even's on CentOS 5.4.
Ubuntu 10.04 64 went fine.  Details are below.

eadam at mapdev804:~$ gdalinfo
/home/eadam/FWTools-3.0.0/usr/bin/gdalinfo: error while loading shared
libraries: libodbc.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory
eadam at mapdev804:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 23
model name	: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5430  @ 2.66GHz
stepping	: 8
cpu MHz		: 2660.027
cache size	: 6144 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 13
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss nx lm
constant_tsc up arch_perfmon pebs bts pni ssse3 cx16 sse4_1 lahf_lm
bogomips	: 5320.05
clflush size	: 64
eadam at mapdev804:~$ uname -a
Linux mapdev804 2.6.24-28-generic #1 SMP Wed Nov 24 09:30:14 UTC 2010
i686 GNU/Linux

I tried on Ubuntu 10.04 64 and that went fine:

eadam at mapdev1004:~/FWTools-3.0.0$ ./install.sh
eadam at mapdev1004:~/FWTools-3.0.0$ gdalinfo
Usage: gdalinfo [--help-general] [-mm] [-stats] [-hist] [-nogcp]
[-nomd]
                [-norat] [-noct] [-checksum] [-mdd domain]*
datasetname
eadam at mapdev1004:~/FWTools-3.0.0$ gdalinfo --formats | wc -l
102
eadam at mapdev1004:~/FWTools-3.0.0$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 23
model name	: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5430  @ 2.66GHz
stepping	: 8
cpu MHz		: 2660.027
cache size	: 6144 KB
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 13
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss syscall nx lm
constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good tsc_reliable aperfmperf pni
ssse3 cx16 sse4_1 lahf_lm
bogomips	: 5320.05
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 64
address sizes	: 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor	: 1
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 23
model name	: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5430  @ 2.66GHz
stepping	: 8
cpu MHz		: 2660.027
cache size	: 6144 KB
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 13
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss syscall nx lm
constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good tsc_reliable aperfmperf pni
ssse3 cx16 sse4_1 lahf_lm
bogomips	: 5320.05
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 64
address sizes	: 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

eadam at mapdev1004:~/FWTools-3.0.0$ uname -a
Linux mapdev1004 2.6.32-26-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Wed Nov 24 10:14:11
UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks and Best Regards, Eli

>>> Even Rouault <even.rouault at mines-paris.org> 12/16/2010 1:14 PM >>>
Frank,

Very cool initiative.

I've just tested the FWTools3-linux-x86_64.tar.gz package on Ubuntu
10.04
64bit. It works great.

What I have noticed :

1) Expat support is not built. This would be a nice improvement to have
KML,
GPX, GEORSS support. I see also libmysqlclient, libsqlite3, libogdi
around,
but not used by libgdal.so

2) I have is with PostgreSQL connections to Unix socket. On my system,
the
libpq (8.4) tries to open the socket in
/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432
whereas with FWTools3 it tries to open /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432 which does
not
exist. Adding host=127.0.0.1 to connect through TCP works however.

I've also tried the FWTools3-linux-i386.tar.gz package on the same
system. It
almost worked at the first try. Most missing 32bit libs were found in
/usr/lib32 thanks to the compat 32 libs packages. I just needed to find

libgif.so.4 and add it (whereas libgif is included in the x86_64
package). The
i386 package has working expat and sqlite, and almost working ogdi.
Almost
working because the "plugins" of OGDI located in ./usr/lib/ogdi must be
moved
in ./usr/lib to be found

On a CentOS 5.4 32bit, I add to install the unixODBC package to get
libodbc.so
that is needed by the FWTools3-linux-i386.tar.gz package package.

Best regards,

Even